Thursday, April 1, 2010

How To Choose A Lipstick Color

We've all done it. Probably a million times. I know I have. When I was in college, I had a habit of going to CVS, Target, Walmart, Macy's, Filene's ... almost anywhere they sold makeup and looking at the colors of lipstick.

My biggest problem (and yes, I know I've been told a million times by a hundred different people that women will kill for what I have) ... my biggest problem is my lips ... they put Angelina Jolie to shame. They are huge. They are prominent and they are WICKED hard to find a color, style, and finish for because they are like ... BLAM! look at me ... I'm Britta's lips.

Well, I can honestly say that I've probably spent at least $500 on lipsticks and stains ... and glosses ... and lip liners ... the list is endless.

Now I know I was making a big mistake. I was looking to change my lips into something they weren't. I was picking what colors looked good to my eye in the tube. Not what looked good on my lips.

Bobbi Brown once said "[i]f I had to teach someone just one thing about lip color it would be this: Find a lipstick that looks good on your face when you are wearing absolutely no makeup."

You should always look for a color of lipstick that is one or two colors lighter or darker than your natural lip color. And always try them out in natural lighting (aka the sun) because the overhead lights in most stores distort the color of the lipstick.

Also, for a little more in depth help, we'll go into skin tones:

- Fair skin: try shades such as nudes in a apricot shade, pinks and light corals. Stay away from browns, which will appear boring and blah

- Medium skin: go a bit darker. You'll look awesome in roses, mauves and berries. Skip the bright reds and consider a deep burgundy instead.

- Dark skin: try a deep plum, chocolate or red. What about caramel or walnut for day, and plum or wine for evening?

Avon carries various types of lipsticks in many colors. Check out Avon's lipstick choices for the different products.

No comments:

Post a Comment